Time for some serious detoxing! Let’s eat a pile of vegetables.
In the last few weeks I’ve shared a ton of fall desserts with you. Now that we’ve all put on a few pounds for winter we can be good to our bellies by using up the last of our summer produce.
Oven roasted corn meets the protein power of black beans and the flavor powerhouse that is pico de gallo in this super fresh salsa/snack/topping.
I’ve never been a huge fan of corn, but I recently discovered oven roasted corn, and now I’m completely hooked. It develops the same candy-like quality you get out of oven roasted broccoli and you aren’t picking kernels out of your teeth all day. To contain the mess of cutting corn off the cob I invert a cereal bowl inside a mixing bowl, stand the ear of corn up in the center of the cereal bowl and then cut down the sides. All the kernels are contained in the mixing bowl.
You could definitely add some finely chopped onion to the mix here. My husband doesn’t care for onions, and I’m usually adding them to whatever I’m making for myself, so it all works out in the end. I recommend eating this in a burrito with rice, on top of a quesadilla, or in a taco. As long as you have this, a tortilla, and a little cheese, you’ll have a great dinner!
ingredients
3 ears of corn, cut off the cob
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
Coarse Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
Juice of one lime
4 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine corn kernels with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper on prepared baking sheet. Spread out in a single layer and roast in the preheated oven 15-20 minutes, stirring a few times, until hot and just beginning to brown. If you prefer your beans hot, add them to the corn, mix them up on the baking sheet along with half the lime juice. Turn off the oven but place the baking sheet back inside to gently heat the beans. (Alternatively, you could add the beans to the mixture below).
Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, jalapeno, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Add the corn and bean mixture along with the other half of the lime juice. Mix thoroughly but gently. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve with chips, burritos, quesadillas, and more.






0 comments:
Post a Comment