panko crusted salmon

As much as I love to cook, I’m kind of a baby when it comes to fish. There’s something about it that crushes my confidence. I’m kind of obsessed with food safety (as my sweet husband could passionately tell you) and I just don’t know how to tell when fish is fully cooked. Still, the last thing you want is a dry, overcooked piece of fish.
This recipe really took the guess work out of cooking fish for me. I sought it out because my dad was looking for a good salmon recipe (here you go, Dad!). The mustard and panko help seal in the juices while the aluminum foil rest after baking takes the guess work out of it being done by gently finishing the cooking process. You’ll know its done for sure when the fish flakes easily with a fork.


I would highly recommend you try this recipe, especially if fish is frightening to you. Its a great way to build your fish confidence and have a delicious meal.
ingredients
2/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 (6-8 ounce) salmon filets, skin on
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
In a small bowl, combine panko, parsley, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and stir until crumbs are evenly coated. Set aside.
Place salmon, skin side down, on a cutting board. Brush the tops of the filets with a generous amount of mustard and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Press the panko mixture thickly on each filet.
Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in a 12 inch cast iron skillet, or other large ovenproof pan. When oil is very hot, add salmon filets, skin side down, and sear 3 to 4 minutes.
Transfer pan to hot oven and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until salmon is almost cooked and panko is browned. Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment